The scademy started taking classes on 27 July 1902. Classes for the first and second year students began at a time. At its inception, the academy had only two tin-shed rooms with brick-and-cement floors and fence walls. At the beginning, the academy had only 2 acres (8,100 m2) of land. Later, the Mohsin Fund donated 40 acres (160,000 m2) of land from the Saidpur estate. The estate regularly disbursed a monthly donation of Rs 50 to the academy. The academy was given affiliation by Calcutta University in 1907.
A hostel for Muslim students was built in the college campus in 1910-11. At that time, Muslim students had to attend Arabic and the Persian classes in the Muslim Hostel outside the main building of the college. Later, education kinister Sher-e-Bangla Ak Fazlul Huq issued an order to appoint a Muslim teacher for the college. The first Muslim teacher appointed on a part-time basis was Mr. Musaddar Ali.